There has never been a more important time for conversation than now. For women in tech, we need to be leading the discussion about so many topics:
- How to increase the number of women in tech
- How to retain strong women in tech in their positions
- Mentoring women in tech to help them advance into leadership positions
- Finding women in tech to recruit
- Creating support groups for women in tech within companies and within communities
- Finding sponsors for women in tech to help them advance in their careers
- Dealing with gender bias in the workplace
- How to address the discrimination in a positive way
- How to engage men in tech to help advance more women in the industry
- The value of a diverse leadership team
- What your risk muscle is and how to flex it
- Creating more jobs for women in tech
- Encouraging girls/teens/college students to explore and pursue careers in tech
That is a lot of discussion. But here is the thing. If we aren’t willing to talk about the challenges women in tech face – we will never move the needle. And the conversations can’t be just between women. We need to encourage male leaders in the tech industry to fully understand the challenges faced by women and help to change the paradigm.
Together we can begin leading the discussion and promoting women in tech!
JJ DiGeronimo, a speaker, author and thought-leader for Women in Tech and Girls and STEM, empowers professional women and consults with senior executives on strategies to retain and attract Women in Technology to increase thought and leadership diversity within organizations.
Check out JJ’s new award winning book Accelerate Your Impact by downloading three free chapters.